Sunday, April 20, 2014

Little Rascal® Holly

I love evergreens and conifers in the garden and one of my favorite evergreens in our landscape is the Little Rascal® Holly, a patented holly from Monrovia. My parents added this shrub to their landscape years ago and shortly thereafter, I added it to mine as well. Per Monrovia it is an extremely cold hardy evergreen shrub that requires minimum maintenance. I haven't performed any maintenance on mine since I planted them - my kind of upkeep. 

Unlike yew shrubs, which require constant trimming, the Little Rascal® Holly's dense and compact form has a nice rounded shape that is easily maintained without shears or clippers. It has a bright green color during spring and summer which turns to deep purple in winter. It is slow growing and gets about 2 feet tall to 3 feet wide and  fits nicely into any landscape. I have noticed that the one shrub in our landscape that is closest to the water source it significantly bigger than its two siblings. One of its special features is that it is supposed to be deer resistant, but I don't get to test that in my neck of suburbia.

Monrovia recommends that you follow a regular watering schedule during the first growing season to establish deep, extensive root system and to feed with a general purpose fertilizer before new growth in the spring. This shrub is recommended for zones 5 - 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment